Authors and researchers, Hilary Hoynes, Nicole Maestas, and Alexander Strand, recently examined the value of legal representation for claimants and the Social Security Administration and found the following results:
- When lawyers submit claimants’ initial application for disability benefits, they increased the probability of an award of disability at the initial level (without having to appeal) by 23%.
- When lawyers win benefits for claimants earlier, it saves money for the Social Security Administration who will otherwise pay staff, outside medical and vocational experts, and adjudicators as the case progresses through appeals and a hearing.
At Kirsch & Clark, a growing number of our Social Security clients join us at the initial level. In 2020, we helped 60% of our clients file an initial claim for benefits. The other 40% were in various stages of appealing a denial. We have had good success in resolving cases at the initial level, so that benefits can be received earlier. We take pride in submitting detailed applications with the relevant information so that the Social Security Administration can make the right decision earlier.